Updated January 2021
Fun facts about the mouth and dentistry!
- The enamel that covers the top of your tooth is the hardest substance in the human body
- Children have 20 baby teeth and adults have 32 permanent teeth
- If you don’t floss your teeth, your are missing 40% of your tooth enamel
- The average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth over a lifetime
- Children laugh about 400 times a day, adults laugh on average only 15 times a day
- 78% of Americans have had at least one cavity by age 17
- More than 300 types of bacteria make up dental plaque
- Dogs have 42 teeth, cats have 30 teeth, pigs have 44 teeth, and an armadillo has 104 teeth
- An elephant’s molar is 7 inches square and can weigh over 6 pounds!
- The average person only brushes 45-70 seconds/day and the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes. *Pro Tip: Get a toothbrush that has a timer on it, so that you brush your teeth for at least two minutes!