The number one question we’ve been asked lately: Is it safe for me to bring my child to the dentist or orthodontist during COVID-19? The short answer is YES, but things are going to look a little different than you’re used to.
Dentists and Orthodontists are known to be great at infection control and are prepared to create safe environments for their patients each and every day. It’s what we’re good at and it’s what we will continue to do.
The mouth is the gateway into the body, allowing germs and bacteria to enter your respiratory system. However, your immune system was designed to fight off these bacteria and infections, including diseases like COVID-19. That is why it’s so important to keep your immune system strong and one of the many ways you can do so is through good oral hygiene and attending your routine dental and orthodontic check-ups.
Because the Coronavirus is known to spread through respiratory droplets and many dental and orthodontic procedures emit an aerosol, RPDO is adhering to the guidelines and recommendations provided by The American Dental Association and Virginia Dental Association to keep you safe.
Your health and safety are our top priority and you will notice the following changes at your upcoming appointment:
- All patients and visitors will be pre-screened prior to entering the office. This includes, but is not limited to a health questionnaire, temperature check, and signed consent form.
- Per local government mandate, all patients, visitors and staff must wear a mask or facial covering while inside the office.
- Our pediatric dentistry waiting rooms are currently closed and therefore pediatric patients will need to remain in their vehicle until a team member calls them inside to their appointment. Only one parent or guardian is permitted inside the office with their child/children.
- Our orthodontic waiting rooms are open and parents are permitted to wait inside during their child’s appointment, but must wear a facial covering and adhere to social distancing guidelines. Orthodontic parents are not permitted in the clinical areas at this time.
- We have installed HEPA filters in our clinical areas to add an additional layer of safety for our patients and staff.
- Treatment areas are cleaned thoroughly prior to your visit and in between each patient. Our staff is also cleaning the office routinely throughout the entire day.
- In addition to the office looking a little different, your dentists and orthodontists are sporting additional PPE (personal protective equipment) to keep themselves and you safe. From face masks, to hair coverings, face shields and glasses, they are decked out from head to toe. Don’t worry, it’s still your favorite RPDO staff under all the new gear.
We appreciate your continued patience and understanding as our team works hard to adapt and overcome new challenges due to COVID-19. Keeping you safe, while keeping your smile healthy is our main goal. We hope that you and your family are staying safe and healthy. We can’t wait to see your smiling faces again very soon.